Search This Blog

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Resolutions, who needs them?


At the commencement of each year, people take time to consider what they would like to do differently. And, these conclusions usually come in the form of a resolution. It could be a resolution to lose weight, save money, quit smoking, etc. And, like many people, I have made plenty of resolutions over the years, in the hopes of developing some new behavior that would ultimately change my life. And, like many people, those resolutions fell to the ground by the spring.

However, this year at BIHL, we decided to consider what we would like to leave behind in 2012. Our partner, Monika Cope, LCSW-C, offered us this wonderful idea of writing down the things we wanted to leave behind and then placing them in a jar and burning them, as a means of signifying the finality and dissolution of that particular feeling or behavior. For me, this was a powerful exercise because going through the ritual gave this commitment more meaning and made it feel almost tangible in a way.

Over the past month, every time one of those items I wrote down reared its head, I considered the ceremony and how debilitating those things were that I wrote down. And, I re-connected myself with my intention, which was to leave those things behind and to find a more positive emotion or behavior to replace the old ones. Mentally, I would visualize the actual burning of the paper, and emotionally, I felt that feeling of relief and strength that I would no longer allow these things to negatively impact me.

This ritual has proven beneficial for me, as I am a visual and kinesthetic learner. So, by enacting this process, I was given two means of reflecting and remembering the issues I want to move past. And, ultimately, they have helped me hold onto those I want to move toward.

So, this year you may want to re-consider what you resolve to do and think about what you don’t want to do any longer. And, then you may want to contemplate various ways that you can make that commitment real for you in a way that offers you a more tangible way of recollecting your truest desires.
 

Be Blessed, 

MM

No comments:

Post a Comment