Search This Blog

Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Reason, A Season or A Lifetime


In 1996, I was fortunate to have listened to a cassette tape, yes I said cassette tape, created by Iyanla Vanzant that possessed this title.  A friend had purchased this tape to assist her in understanding how a 10 year relationship had ended so unexpectedly and abruptly. While listening to this tape, Iyanla encouraged the listener to adapt a certain understanding that not all things are meant to last forever, and that some come to us for other reasons. She went on to suggest that some relationships, friendships and situations are only meant to be in our lives for a particular season. And, in some of these instances, it may be to help us through a situation, to offer some much needed information, to show us our value, to illustrate unadulterated love, or for innumerable other reasons. Thus, she expresses that some people come into our lives for a season, as they may possess a specific purpose in supporting us or revealing something to us in a way that only they could. And, alas, there are those who will last a lifetime. And, those are the individuals who will be with us for the long haul and will teach us and show us things during the duration of our time together.

As practitioners, we see people come to us sometimes wanting to hold onto something/someone that may not be meant to be held onto anymore. However, that is not a decision that we can make for anyone. We can only serve in helping them to understand and manage the situation better. Yet, many times, this type of wisdom is so helpful for people. Because when you are really able to understand this concept, it makes life so much easier. Essentially, the concept of this message is one that can help people discover acceptance and serve as a segue in moving forward in their lives. Simultaneously, it can assist with changing their perceptions and their overall lives.

So now when something doesn’t go the way I anticipated (i.e. the job I didn’t get, the promotion that didn’t happen, the lay-off that knocked me off my feet,  or the proposal that was never asked) , I find myself pondering the lesson of the situation and really assessing whether I saw this coming before it occurred. And, after lots of soul searching, I find myself just saying “thank you” for the experience, the lesson and the knowledge I now possess to take into the next chapter of my life. I say “thank you” that it wasn’t any worse and that I got out of the situation in one piece.  And, as I say “thank you”, it confirms my belief that there are no failures, no mistakes, just learning experiences and God’s love!

 

Be Blessed,


MM

No comments:

Post a Comment