Search This Blog

Monday, November 5, 2012

Seizing the Day for Ourselves and Our Ancestors!


When I worked for other people, I always felt like my career was waiting to happen. I would constantly contemplate what was next, as I am always forward looking and trying to learn as much as I can. It is not until now that I feel my life is finally falling into all the right places. Being blessed with the ability to relate to and help people is so profound. And, when you find sheer joy in doing whatever you love, you are truly blessed.

Earlier today, I thought of all of the struggles that my partner’s and my parents, grandparents and great-grandparents had to endure in order for the three of us to have the opportunities we have today. What we have been able to achieve today wasn’t as prevalent or achievable when they were our age. I often listen to my mom talk about being in school when integration had just started, and I know that it was an arduous and painful process for her to endure. I remember my grandmother speaking of her ability to walk on either side of the street because she was fair-skinned, but that she would do so with a sense of trepidation that someone would realize she was black.

And, now when I reminisce on their stories, they have a different meaning as a woman in a business that accomplishes more each year. Now, their stories revitalize me whenever I may feel like I want to give up. Their stories encourage me to think of new, different ways and things I can contribute to my business. Their stories reinforce the values of working hard, being gracious and treating everyone with kindness and dignity. Their stories remind me that the world really is our oyster, that all things are possible and that the opportunities are BOUNDLESS!

It is our responsibility to ensure that they didn’t endure their hardships in vain. Each and every day , we must awaken with a sense of joy, hope and purpose…knowing that  God has entrusted us with His people’s lives and businesses and that a vast number of human beings will benefit from the work we do!

Be Blessed,
MM

 

2 comments:

  1. This is so powerful and true. It truly is a breath of fresh air to wake up everyday knowing that we are doing something to help others through the avenue of our own business. I am so grateful to those who fought and stood for what was right, so that we can relish in the fruits of their labor!

    ReplyDelete